10 Steps to be Successful in US Community Colleges
Both Ivy League Colleges and community colleges in US offer education to students of different strata. Students from foreign countries also attend community colleges in United States to receive cost effective education. The various steps through which a student can be successful in US community colleges are given in this article.
The community colleges in US are under the Public Education System in United States. Since the inception of public education during the 19th century, this had a huge impact on the American economy and the different social class of America. In the latter half of 20th century, the concept of community colleges emerged. In 1901, America got its first community college named Joliet Junior College, Illinois. It is because of these types of colleges, students used to pursue higher studies remaining within the community.
Students often face some specific issues, being a part of community colleges in US. Let’s face the fact. People are not yet completely free from the age old concept of ‘community’ education. Even today the community colleges do not get that respect that they deserve. They are always proven to be lowered than the Ivy League colleges in United States till date. These colleges not even celebrate Prom Night. Still there are many success stories that revolve round the community colleges in United States of America.
Many students across foreign countries enrol themselves in the community colleges besides US students. Some of the benefits and facilities of these colleges are highlighted below:
- Tuition fees of the community colleges in US are more affordable for the middle class people than the Ivy League college. Students can pursue their education without any external educational funds and scholarships.
- With the funds of the local tax payers, majority of the community colleges in North America are maintained. Students of these colleges are able to receive cost effective education. Later they get recruited to jobs of good pay packages and contribute back to the communities.
- The ‘rolling admission’ process is another feature of the community colleges, which is a great help for students. Here, under this process student can enrol during any semester.
- SAT or ACT are not necessary to attend majority of the community colleges in United States. Their education standards are not that good like the private or Ivy League colleges. The community colleges focus on the open-door policy of public education inspired since the World Wars.
- During admission, only the high school diploma or certificate is required to be produced by applicants. For international students, marks of GRE/GMAT or IELTS/TOEFL are always not demanded by the community colleges.
- Community colleges in US are attended by many adults also. There is no age restriction for students. Therefore, community colleges also encourage adult education. In most of these cases night classes are offered to the adult students.
- Though, the students cannot expect the infrastructure of private and Ivy League colleges but the community colleges are well maintained. The class rooms are not that big as the A-graded colleges in United States but students get the attention they deserve.
- The community colleges are easily accessible. Most of the localities prefer to attend these colleges near their home. These colleges are very convenient.
- Various courses are offered by the community colleges of United States. Like rest of the private colleges there are semester systems and examination procedures.
- Many community colleges encourage students for sports like football, basketball and so on. Athlete teams of many of these colleges joined national and international levels later on.
These are some of the benefits of the community colleges in United States of America. Many students from these colleges are successful to reach that zenith of prosperity.